Revising from the Lap Band

Hzleydgal
on 12/7/11 3:35 am

I have had my lap band for almost 5 years and it is just not doing the trick for me any longer.   I have been looking at revision options and was pretty much set on the Sleeve, but then met with my surgeon who suggested RNY instead of the Sleeve.   In looking at the RNY options on this site, I have found a lot of people talking about DS.   I'm still in the dark a bit about that Revision.  I'm curious if there are others on her that went from the Band to DS and why over the other Revisions.  

I'm really trying to gain as much knowledge from actual Revisers before I see my surgeon again to ask more questions.

Any help you could give would be GREATLY appreciated.  I'm just so ready to start again and get my weight moving!

Thanks!
Hazel

Valerie G.
on 12/7/11 3:46 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
You'll find a few band to DS revisions out here.  Ms Calculator is one of them, I know.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

fullhousemom
on 12/7/11 6:58 am
 You will also find plenty of RNY revisioners  to the DS.  Find a surgeon who performs the DS and  ask him/her which is the better surgery. The best long term results are with the DS. Good luck!
momx4
on 12/7/11 7:03 am - TX
I just revised from the LB to the DS.  I am only one month out today so hardly a vet, but the reasons I chose to revise to the DS instead of RNY was due to the overwhelming RNY revisions to DS that I found on here!!   I hated the stuck feeling from the band, the slimy's, etc.....I didn't want a pouch and I didn't want to lose my pyloric valve.....I also didn't want to deal with dumping and I personally know 3 RNYers that have gained at least 3/4 of their weight back.   So I chose a lifetime of supplements to be able to eat "normally" over eating like a bird and having to constantly worry about everything I eat (seems like a diet to me)
Kristi                
MajorMom
on 12/7/11 7:06 am - VA
You'll definitely want to talk to a surgeon who performs the DS and not just bands, sleeves and RNY. That's all they do, so that's what they'll try to sell you. There aren't that many DS surgeons but you can find a good list on www.dsfacts.com .

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/11 8:47 am
Not switched yet, still going through the pre-op testing/process.

However, I too am 5 years post band and I am counting the seconds until I can have it out. I am choosing DS over the other surgeries because I feel it is important to keep the pyloric valve (search reactive hypoglycemia). I also have seen in my research that it has the best track record for weight loss AND maintenance of that weight loss. I've known too many people with the RNY who have regained much or all of their lost weight. I want to do this one more time and then that's it.

My band has failed me. My DS won't.

BUT you need to find out if it's right for YOU. Do your research. Scour every post on this board - go back 6+ months. Go to www.dsfacts.com and read every page. Finally, find a vetted DS doctor on that site and have a consult. THEN and ONLY THEN should you decide which revision is right for you.

Best of luck in your journey....

PS I'm considered a "lightweight" - BMI is about 37. I still think it's the very best choice for me.
mrsannie
on 12/7/11 9:12 pm
 As a former "Crap-Bander" (there are LOTS of us here) I must say...

DO IT!!!

I also wasted years on that piece of crap!  The end of this month will be my 2 year surgiversary and I have to say I would do it again in a minute!  Don't get me wrong the surgery and recovery weren't easy, and it took some time for me to figure our what I can and can not eat, but it was soooooooo worth it!  Its nice to live life again and not spend my days worried about my weight.  I should have done this sooner.

IM me with any questions and I'll do my best.  I too was not sure, but I am so glad I too the leap to the Dark Side!  :)

Anne

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
honeybadger 11
on 12/14/11 12:19 pm - FL
Hello-

Im was also a 5 yr bandster and revised to the DS last month. Its the best decision ive ever made!

What it boils down to for me is that it just doesnt make sense. Why would you want to bypass your perfectly good stomach and make a pouch that you may have unending problems with stenosis, ulceration, etc. Not to mention the not so great overall weight loss and the dumping.

Yes, with the DS you have to be very educated. Yes, you have to take a lot of supplements and be pro active with your health care but i wanted a surgery that would give me the greatest amount of weight loss and carry me into old age. Most 10yr RNYers i know have gained back at least half of their weight and struggle dieting to keep anymore from creeping on. I know 2 RNYers tht never reached close to goal and gained ALL there weight back within 4yrs. Not recommendable at all.

I say just like the rest of the poster...read, read, read. If you think the DS is the right surgery for you then find a surgeon that performs it. Good luck on your decision!

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com